Keene State College opens $1.2m Nursing Simulation Lab
KEENE — Expanding on the Nursing Program Keene State College started in 2011, the institution opened its new Nursing Simulation Lab last month.
The $1.2 million facility includes five patient areas and a nurses station set up just as they would be in current hospital environments.
This new lab is state of the art and cutting edge in every way, Fleeger said Tuesday.
A high-tech mannequin known as "METIman" is used to test the students on different patient scenarios. The METIman can be programmed for up to a hundred different health care scenarios.
"They can make it convulse," said Jessica Morissette, Keene State College nursing student and junior, set to graduate in 2015.
Tuesday students in the lab were trained on a ceiling lift.
Using mechanical lifts help nurses avoid the physical injuries that come with the job, Assistant Professor Cynthia G. Cahoon told her students Tuesday morning.
"You need a turn at being a patient," Cahoon said.
Morissette said the simulations and training with the equipment they will encounter in real health care situations gives her confidence. "We can say I do know how this feels like and don't worry I won't let you fall," Morissette said of using the lift.
Until then METIman can stand into have IV and catheter insertions, and have his pulse, body temperature and blood pressure taken.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 3
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 2
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH