Remains identified as missing North Conway manStaff report
February 04. 2014 8:33PM
Officials confirmed the human remains discovered last fall while searching for a missing Conway teenager are those of John Sweeney of North Conway, who disappeared in the summer of 2006.
DNA test results two weeks ago positively identified the remains, Conway Police Lt. Christopher Perley said Tuesday.
Sweeney was 52 years old when he disappeared. He was free on bail after being charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated nine days earlier. Sweeney had been upset that he was involved in a collision that left a motorcyclist injured, Perley said.
Sweeney left a note suggesting he might considering doing harm to himself and left without his diabetes medications, which he needed to survive, Perley added.
Conway police and fire and conservation officers extensively searched the Whittaker Woods area of Cranmore Mountain in northern North Conway without locating Sweeney.
Search crews looking for missing Conway teen Abigail Conway last October came upon the remains south of Whittaker Woods at the base of Cranmore Mountain Resort, Perley said.
"We're unsure if the remains were always there or if some flooding may have moved them there," Perley said.
There is no indication of foul play.
Hernandez, 15, still is missing. The investigation into her disappearance remains active.