Berlin parish gets a new pastor and a new priest
BERLIN — Good Shepherd Parish will be getting a new pastor and priest, but they won’t be strangers to the congregation.
The Rev. Kyle Stanton, 30, who has served the parish for two and a half years as the parochial vicar, has been chosen as the new pastor for the parish. The Rev. Andrew Nelson will be taking Stanton’s place.
It will be a joint Mass for members of both churches in the parish, St. Anne’s and Holy Family in Gorham. It will be presided over by the Rev. Craig Cheney of Colebrook, who is the dean of the region.
He is the middle of three sons and is from Salem. He earned a bachelor’s degree in theology with a minor in philosophy from Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio. He then went to St. John’s Seminary in Brighton, Mass.
Nelson said how long a pastor stays in a parish varies depending on the needs of the diocese. He said it is unusual someone so young is given the responsibility of such as large parish, as Stanton has, but Nelson said Stanton is well loved in the community.
The congregation also has a shared past with Nelson.
Two years ago, the first Feast of St. Anne pilgrimage was held in Berlin. Then- Deacon Nelson helped to organize it, and in that capacity got to know many in the parish.
He then taught theology for five years at Trinity High School in Manchester and was involved in the campus ministry there.
Although the bishop makes the assignments, a conversation is part of the process, Nelson said.
Tonight’s Mass will include special prayers and Stanton will renew his priestly vows.
A reception will follow the Mass.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rep. Stephen Shurtleff: What NH can accomplish when we cooperate in Concord - 2
- Brian Bouchard's NH Legal Perspective: Cloudy with a chance of trade secret forfeiture - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- John Stossel: Making legal immigration easier would help America - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 6
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem