Not your average winter, but spending is up in the North Country
LANCASTER — Winter is always slightly different “north of the notches,” but as the current season unfolds, state Department of Transportation officials in the North Country say they, too, face the prospect of going over-budget, just like their downstate peers.
He later cautioned that “normal” is an increasingly inefficient adjective for the types of winters the North Country has experienced and to which the state DOT responds.
“What’s strange about the North Country is you don’t have to go very far for the weather to be a whole lot different,” said Schutt. “You have the notches (through the White Mountains), which have a mirco-climate of their own. In the Lancaster area, we really haven’t had that severe a winter here but we’ve had to do a lot of treatment based on the kind of weather” in Lancaster and throughout District 1.
Looking forward to the end of the winter-maintenance-season, Schutt thinks District 1 may overspend its budget.
There is, however, one certainty every winter, said Schutt.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem