Not your average winter, but spending is up in the North Country
LANCASTER — Winter is always slightly different “north of the notches,” but as the current season unfolds, state Department of Transportation officials in the North Country say they, too, face the prospect of going over-budget, just like their downstate peers.
He later cautioned that “normal” is an increasingly inefficient adjective for the types of winters the North Country has experienced and to which the state DOT responds.
“What’s strange about the North Country is you don’t have to go very far for the weather to be a whole lot different,” said Schutt. “You have the notches (through the White Mountains), which have a mirco-climate of their own. In the Lancaster area, we really haven’t had that severe a winter here but we’ve had to do a lot of treatment based on the kind of weather” in Lancaster and throughout District 1.
Looking forward to the end of the winter-maintenance-season, Schutt thinks District 1 may overspend its budget.
There is, however, one certainty every winter, said Schutt.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Forecasters say true to form, March will come in like a lion - 0
- NWS: North Country flooding risk near normal for now - 0
- Device may help solve weighty problem - 0
- Frequent snowstorms taking a toll on Manchester's plowing budget - 1
- After-school activities canceled in New Boston, Goffstown and Dunbarton - 0
- Pembroke extends parking ban - 0
- Latest storm will make it a short day for many students - 3
- Here we go again... Fast-moving storm headed to Granite State - 0
- Remember: Winter can't last forever - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 5
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief