Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Meredith derby anglers told to beware of thin ice
Brian Martin and his girlfriend, Heidi McCarter of Meredith, cover their on-ice fire pit outside their bob house on Meredith Bay Tuesday in anticipation of the storm. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
"There will be some spots where the thin ice is invisible because of the fresh snow," said state Fish and Game Lt. James Goss.
"That is a very bad spot this winter," Goss said. "We want people to stay away from that section of the lake."
A Jan. 5 aerial survey of Lake Winnipesaukee by the New Hampshire Civil Air Patrol revealed treacherous ice conditions on some parts of the lake, including the open water near Welch Island.
Because of the unpredictable ice conditions, it is not advisable to drive vehicles onto the ice, Goss said.
Those on foot should carefully assess ice safety before venturing out by using an ice chisel or auger to determine ice thickness and condition. Continue to do this as you get further out on to the ice because the thickness of the ice will not be uniform all over the water body.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Cheryl Kimball's Natute Talks: What gives some animals night vision? - 0
- NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Windham committee thinks water may be key to lower taxes - 0
- Three beloved performers come together for Folk Summit - 0
- Classic Rock Roll Of Honour: Live Performances Announced for 11/4 Ceremony From Kings Of Chaos, California Breed, Rival Sons & Scott Weiland & The Wildabouts - 0
- Salem board honors former superintendent - 0
- Subdivision road work in Salem under scrutiny - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Concord Grange readying for Christmas parade - 0
- Student's service project honors mom fighting MS - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Classic Rock Roll Of Honour: Live Performances Announced for 11/4 Ceremony From Kings Of Chaos, California Breed, Rival Sons & Scott Weiland & The Wildabouts