The Greenwood family is struggling to start over after a fire destroyed their Hudson trailer home and all of their belongings last Friday. An online fundraiser has been established to help the family rebuild their lives. (COURTESY)
Friends, strangers rally around family that lost everything in fire
The Greenwood family’s mobile home was destroyed on Jan. 31 and since then the five family members have been staying in a local hotel.
The Salvation Army and the Red Cross are assisting the family with emergency lodging right now and donations of cash, clothing, food, toiletries and other household items continue to pour in.
Moore set up an online fundraising account for the family, “Help The Greenwood Family,” via the Go Fund Me website last Friday afternoon.
Collection cans have been placed on the counters of area businesses, while neighbors have also stepped up to lend a hand.
Neighbor Morgan White, a resident of the Mobile Estates mobile home community, said she’s been collecting donations from around the park.
“People have just been so generous,” Moore said. “It means so much to the family.”
By Thursday morning, a total of $555 had been raised online, with a dozen or so donors showing goodwill in the form of $10, $20 and $50 gifts.
By the time they arrived, 7-year-old Paul Carter Jr. had already taken his 72-year-old grandmother by the hand, leading her out of harm’s way as soon as he saw flames filling the kitchen.
Fire officials believe Buster, the family’s two-year-old German Shepherd caused the fire after jumping on the kitchen stove and igniting a burner. Buster didn’t survive the Jan. 31 fire, but no one else was injured.