Home » News » Public Safety
Friends, strangers rally around family that lost everything in fire
The Greenwood family is struggling to start over after a fire destroyed their Hudson trailer home and all of their belongings last Friday. An online fundraiser has been established to help the family rebuild their lives. (COURTESY)
The Greenwood family’s mobile home was destroyed on Jan. 31 and since then the five family members have been staying in a local hotel.
The Salvation Army and the Red Cross are assisting the family with emergency lodging right now and donations of cash, clothing, food, toiletries and other household items continue to pour in.
Moore set up an online fundraising account for the family, “Help The Greenwood Family,” via the Go Fund Me website last Friday afternoon.
Collection cans have been placed on the counters of area businesses, while neighbors have also stepped up to lend a hand.
Neighbor Morgan White, a resident of the Mobile Estates mobile home community, said she’s been collecting donations from around the park.
“People have just been so generous,” Moore said. “It means so much to the family.”
By Thursday morning, a total of $555 had been raised online, with a dozen or so donors showing goodwill in the form of $10, $20 and $50 gifts.
By the time they arrived, 7-year-old Paul Carter Jr. had already taken his 72-year-old grandmother by the hand, leading her out of harm’s way as soon as he saw flames filling the kitchen.
Fire officials believe Buster, the family’s two-year-old German Shepherd caused the fire after jumping on the kitchen stove and igniting a burner. Buster didn’t survive the Jan. 31 fire, but no one else was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem