Home » News » Public Safety
Fire at Sanborn Regional High School appears to have been set
The fire was reported about 11 a.m. in a handicap bathroom stall at Sanborn Regional High School in Kingston. (Jason Schreiber/Union Leader Correspondent)
The fire was reported about 11 a.m. in a handicap bathroom stall. Seaman said the fire appears to have started in the area of the toilet paper dispenser.
The fire was extinguished by a staff member before firefighters arrived, Superintendent Brian Blake said.
"Based on my initial investigation it appears the fire was intentionally set. There is no indication that it was an accident. The Kingston police are working on trying to locate any evidence of anybody involved," Seaman said.
While the blaze caused little structural damage, Seaman said there was smoke and dry chemical powder from the extinguisher throughout the second floor.
The smoke forced the students and school personnel to immediately evacuate the building, Blake said.
Seaman said firefighters found elevated carbon monoxide levels on the first and second floors, but fans were used to improve the air quality.
Students and school employees were evaluated by medical personnel as a precaution.
Two students and a firefighter experienced symptoms of smoke inhalation and were treated and released at the scene, Seaman said.
"All staff, faculty and students are safe and accounted for," he said.
They were transported by school busses to the nearby Swasey Gymnasium at the old high school and were dismissed at 1 p.m.
Parents were notified of the fire through an automated phone message sent out shortly after the fire was reported, Blake said.
Firefighters from Fremont and Newton assisted Kingston fire crews. East Kingston Ambulance was also called in to assist Kingston emergency medical personnel.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate