Home » News » Public Safety
Snowmobile crash injures Manchester firefighter
MANCHESTER FIREFIGHTER JAMES KELLY of Hooksett was injured in a snowmobile crash Friday morning in Auburn./Courtesy Auburn Fire Department
Fire Chief Bruce Phillips said Lt. James Kelly of Hooksett was riding with three other Manchester firefighters about 10:30 a.m. when his snowmobile caught the soft shoulder of the groomed trail and crashed into a tree.
Kelly, who was wearing a helmet, was thrown from the machine which was estimated to be traveling at 40 to 45 mph.
Phillips said the Manchester firefighters immediately went to Kelly's aid and helped Auburn firefighters, who arrived with an off-road vehicle, take him off the trail.
"The Manchester firefighters were absolutely great," said Phillips, who retired from the Manchester Fire Department and worked with Kelly. "We had him out of there in less than 10 minutes."
Kelly was taken by ambulance to the Elliot Hospital where the trauma team was activated.
Phillips said Kelly's injuries to his head, shoulder, legs and arms are not life-threatening.
He said Kelly and his fellow firefighters were not doing anything wrong.
"They were just riding," he said. "It was a freak accident."
Conservation officers from New Hampshire Fish & Game are investigating the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms