Tamworth youth walks away with catch of the day
Brady, 11, from Tamworth, stood with his father and Gov. Maggie Hassan on the deck of Derby headquarters, holding up the 4.25-pound, 25½-inch pickerel he caught at Bear Camp Pond, where he's caught big pickerel before.
What will he do with the money?
"He'll put it in the bank for school," said his father, Chris King.
Mark Smart, a stone mason from Moultonborough, won the second-place prize — $5,000. He caught the biggest cusk on Saturday, a 30-inch, 8.82-pound fish.
He caught the fish on Lake Winnipesaukee, on a section of the lake called "The Broads."
The third-prize winner was a regular at the derby before he enlisted in the U.S. Marines. For the past 10 years, Skyler Sherman, of Manchester, has been a sergeant, serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. He left the service last summer, he said, and is enjoying "being back home," he said.
"I'm not going to say where it was, or it won't be secret anymore," Sherman said. "It was great to be back here. I'm here with my dad and cousins; it's a whole family thing," he said.
The derby had one of its best weekends ever, said Derby Chairman Betsy Donovan.
"The ice was perfect, and the crowds were huge," she said. "The fish were large, too."
Hassan said she was pleased to be at the event and happy to see such a large turnout.
"I used to fish as a child with my grandfather, though it was on the Seacoast so it was a different kind of fishing," Hassan said. "This is an important event for this area, and for the state, and for the country for that matter. This is really wonderful."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Early summer rental benefit as winter takes its toll - 0
- Susan Dromey's Down to Earth: The winter of our fashion faux pas - 0
- Deb Baker's The Mindful Reader: 'The Half Brother': complex, thoughtful - 0
- Forest Journal: Winners & losers: Keeping score of wildlife in winter - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Ice fishing great under right conditions - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Thrush sighting brings rush of excitement - 0
- Win tickets to see Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo - 0
- Win tickets to see Black Label Society - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
Harrigan closes up camp
Win tickets to see Black Label Society
Judge: State wrong to round blood-alcohol level; license of teen charged with hitting women restored
Anthem breach will haunt NH 'forever'
Donna Powers: NH needs casinos