Tamworth youth walks away with catch of the day
Brady, 11, from Tamworth, stood with his father and Gov. Maggie Hassan on the deck of Derby headquarters, holding up the 4.25-pound, 25½-inch pickerel he caught at Bear Camp Pond, where he's caught big pickerel before.
What will he do with the money?
"He'll put it in the bank for school," said his father, Chris King.
Mark Smart, a stone mason from Moultonborough, won the second-place prize — $5,000. He caught the biggest cusk on Saturday, a 30-inch, 8.82-pound fish.
He caught the fish on Lake Winnipesaukee, on a section of the lake called "The Broads."
The third-prize winner was a regular at the derby before he enlisted in the U.S. Marines. For the past 10 years, Skyler Sherman, of Manchester, has been a sergeant, serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. He left the service last summer, he said, and is enjoying "being back home," he said.
"I'm not going to say where it was, or it won't be secret anymore," Sherman said. "It was great to be back here. I'm here with my dad and cousins; it's a whole family thing," he said.
The derby had one of its best weekends ever, said Derby Chairman Betsy Donovan.
"The ice was perfect, and the crowds were huge," she said. "The fish were large, too."
Hassan said she was pleased to be at the event and happy to see such a large turnout.
"I used to fish as a child with my grandfather, though it was on the Seacoast so it was a different kind of fishing," Hassan said. "This is an important event for this area, and for the state, and for the country for that matter. This is really wonderful."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sixth Annual Family Fun & Music Festival this weekend - 0
- Theater provides creative outlet for kids - 0
- Manchester mom turns to crowd funding for daughter's heart surgeries - 0
- Nature Talks: Residents of a vacant lot - 0
- Special Unit M Antlerless Deer Permits Selling Fast - 0
- The Granite State Blues Society presents the 12th Annual Barnful of Blues - 0
- A Concert in a Place with No Space or Time - 0
- Derry Cycling Trio reaches 2000 Mile Mark in Cross Country Adventure - 0
- Loeb School offers Cartooning for Kids Workshop August 7th - 0
17 Special New Hampshire Picnic Spots
Nature Talks: Residents of a vacant lot
Win tickets to see Josh Turner
Theater provides creative outlet for kids
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health
Market Basket board: We'll 'evaluate' offer