Manchester math scores take a dip in NECAP test
Eighth-graders scored sharply lower in writing on the most recent test while 11th graders improved considerably, according to results released Friday.
The NECAP's replacement, the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium test, will be required in 2015 as part of the Common Core standards. Manchester officials previously said they will consider seeking a waiver to use a different assessment test.
At the Henry J. McLaughlin Middle School, 26 percent were found to be proficient or above in writing compared to 57 percent the prior year, a 31-point decline.
"The important thing for us to do is break down and compare the same pool of students year to year and see what their growth has been over time," Livingston said.
In Manchester, Grade eight math scores dropped by eight points, while grades three and five each dropped by seven points.
Overall, Manchester students scored lower than the state as a whole in all three subject areas tested: reading, math and writing.
"Our teachers have worked hard to shore up the weaknesses in classroom writing instruction and improve the elements that needed to be stronger," Principal Christine Martin said in the school district statement.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 0
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 48
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
- With SNHU merger on hold, search renewed for NHIA president - 0
- Interim president encouraging student growth at WMCC - 0
- Pinkerton superintendent tours school in hors- drawn carriage - 1
- Granite State Arts Academy in Derry ready to open its doors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate