All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Two-alarm fire causes damage to Canterbury home

CANTERBURY — A two-alarm fire damaged a home at 252 Baptist Hill Road Monday afternoon, but firefighters were able to keep most of the house intact.

“We made a good save,” said Canterbury Fire Department Capt. Adam Angwin.

The home’s owner called the fire department when smoke filled a first-floor room in his 2½-story house just before 3 p.m.

Firefighters found the fire near a first-floor fireplace.

“The fire was underneath a hearth and the floor,” Angwin said. “We’re not sure yet where the fire came out and caught the rest of the (room walls) on fire.”

“We’re still not sure of the exact cause,” he said.

Fire crews quickly doused the flames.

“There was heavy damage around the chimney, and the chimney will have to be repaired, and there will have to be some remodeling of the house,” Angwin said.

Town fire crews were joined by firefighters from Belmont, Loudon, and Boscawen. The fire was under control within about an hour.

Eric Church
Saturday, 8 p.m.

Discover Wild NH Day
Saturday, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Kathy Griffin
Saturday, 7 p.m.

Peter Wolf
Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

Motor Booty Affair
Saturday, 8 p.m.