KINGSTON — Sanborn Regional High School was slated to reopen today as cleanup continues after a fire broke out in a second-floor boys’ bathroom last Thursday morning.
In a statement issued Sunday night, principal Brian Stack said the school would reopen for normal operation, but that the bathroom, which sustained heavy damage, will remain closed for the next two to three weeks.
Stack also announced that the name of a suspect possibly involved in the fire has been identified and turned over to police.
Fire Chief Bill Seaman said last week that he believed the fire had been intentionally set. The state fire marshal’s office was asked to help with the investigation.
“This kind of an incident is something we as a school community have no tolerance for, and the consequences can be extremely severe should the suspect be charged for the incident.
“I would like to thank all of the emergency responders from Kingston and the surrounding communities who reacted quickly to keep us all safe,” Stack said in his statement.
The fire forced the students and staff to evacuate the building. They were bused to nearby Swasey Gymnasium and then sent home early.Stack said special education teachers Jim Enright and Scott Maxwell extinguished the fire almost immediately, but the second floor sustained smoke damage.
An environmental cleaning crew was brought in and has worked with subcontractors to repair the damage. Stack said the work has included the temporary installation of about 50 air scrubbers and deodorizer machines, a complete vacuum and clean out of the school’s HVAC system, surface cleaning on walls, furniture, and surfaces, and the replacement of hundreds of ceiling tiles on the second floor.
Air quality tests have also been done to ensure the building is safe.
While the deodorizers have been removed, Stack said the air scrubbing machines will remain in the hallways through this week. He said crews will also continue to work on cleaning out the HVAC system after school hours.