Nashua restaurant, students team to fight school vacation hunger
The Amherst Street Elementary School, Nashua high school students and UNO pizzeria restaurant in Nashua are hosting a food drive and dough raiser to help put food on the table for students who will not have access to free and reduced lunches during February and April school vacations.
“Childhood hunger is not just a national problem, it’s a local problem as well,” she said, noting 75 percent of the students at Amherst Street Elementary School receive free and reduced lunches. Some of those families are on a waiting list to receive a backpack full of food to feed their family on the weekends, part of the Amherst Street Backpack Food Pantry Program, added Caron.
In addition, UNO is hosting a dough raiser to benefit the program. Diners must bring in their free dough raiser ticket and hand it to their UNO server between now and Feb. 18 when 20 percent of receipts will be donated to the food pantry efforts.
Food can also be dropped off at the Amherst Street Elementary School during regular business hours, and monetary donations may be made through the school’s website.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name