Pat Buchanan: Staying out of other people's wars
Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham returned from the Munich security conference saying that even John Kerry agrees that President Obama's Syrian policy has failed. They are urging another look at air strikes.
Philippines President Benigno Aquino III last week compared his country's situation to Czechoslovakia in 1938, and the disputed islets off his coast in the South China Sea to the Sudetenland. Like Hitler in Europe, Aquino is saying, China is on the march in Asia.
At Davos, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe compared Japan's clash with China over the Senkaku islands in the East China Sea to German-British tensions on the eve of World War I. Though they were major trading partners, like China and Japan, said Abe, Germany and Britain went to war.
Cal Coolidge's admonition not to panic — "If you see ten troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that nine will run into the ditch before they reach you" — is often wise counsel. Yet, any of these five situations could bring about a war, a war involving us. For we are obligated by treaty to defend South Korea, Japan and the Philippines. And the Obama "pivot" to Asia is seen by Beijing as a U.S. strategic move to contain China's rise to superpower status.
Libya is disintegrating. Egypt is moving toward a new military dictatorship. Sinai is a no man's land. Syria is three years deep in a civil-sectarian war with 130,000 dead. Sunni and Hezbollah groups car-bomb one another in Lebanon. Iraq is being torn asunder by Sunni Islamists in Anbar, newly battling the Shia regime in Baghdad. Tribalism tears at Yemen. Afghanistan may see a return of the Taliban when we go.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Electronic benefits: Sin and the EBT card - 2
- ‘Legislative cocaine:’ Gambling and state revenue - 3
- Minimum wages: Maximum spin - 14
- A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth - 1
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Div. II Hockey Championship: Bedford makes it perfect for third straight - 0
- Div. II Boys' Basketball Championship: It's back-to-back for Pembroke - 0
- Div. IV Boys' Basketball Championship: Stanley, Epping boys rally past Sunapee - 0
- College Basketball: Albany men take America East title - 0
- Slebodnick, Cornell women fall short in NCAAs - 0
- Edelman will re-sign with Patriots - 0
- Chace, Team USA win second straight Paralympic hockey gold - 0
- GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity - 1
- Man ID'd as kissing sailor in iconic Times Square photograph dies at 86 - 0
NH Supreme Court: Protecting police from liability more important than rights of man wrongly accused of rape
14 people arrested in Nashua drug sweep
'Hometown Hottie' indicted on drug charges
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown announces exploratory committee for US Senate run
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity