Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Sanborn Regional High School restroom arson tab is $400,000
"The damage that was caused was significant and carries a big price tag and the implications are far-reaching," Superintendent Brian Blake said Tuesday.
It's also too early to know how last Thursday's fire will affect the school district's insurance rates.
A 15-year-old male student is facing arson charges after police said he intentionally set the fire in a boys' restroom on the second floor of the high school, which was built in 2006.
An insurance adjuster surveyed the damage Thursday. Professional cleaning crews and other contractors were hired to immediately begin their work.
Air scrubbers and deodorizer machines were brought in; the school's HVAC system had to be cleaned because of the smoke. Work also included cleaning walls, furniture and other surfaces. Hundreds of ceiling tiles also had to be replaced.
Given the scope of the work and the extent of the damage, Blake said he wasn't surprised by the $400,000 estimate.
"When looking at the manpower that was used from Thursday night right through Sunday night to get it done, there's a significant cost involved," Blake said.
"It's an awful lot of money. You build them a $30 million high school and then you've got hundreds of thousands in damage," Kingston Selectman Mark Heitz said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 1
- Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced - 0
- Man claims rights were violated during investigation - 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- Salem man arrested for alleged bathroom videotaping - 0
- OHRV trail official hopes arrest will deter others - 0
- One arrested in fight near Manchester Super 8 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 11
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Obama to announce ramped-up efforts to beat Ebola - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
- Total Votes: 917