Home » News » Public Safety
Officials say cause of Woodshed restaurant fire may never be determined
This fire destroyed the Woodshed Restaurant in Moultonborough in November. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
Investigators from the state Fire Marshal's office say they are still investigating witness accounts and are seeking new information about the fire from Woodshed employees and residents, but they still have not found the cause of the fire that leveled the 19th-century building that was once a farmhouse.
The last person in the restaurant left just before 9 p.m., employees said. The fire was reported just before 10 p.m., and by 11 p.m. the building was engulfed in flames.
Ouellette has said the owners will most likely not rebuild the restaurant, saying last month it would be impossible to recreate the restaurant.
Firefighters said the fire spread through the building quickly because of its age and all of the "fuel" for the fire inside — the mementos, books, ornaments and other items that helped give the restaurant its character, according to Ouellette.
Investigators who can't find a clear cause usually begin trying to rule out causes.
"If the destruction is such that very little is left, it's hard to rule out much, so the investigation can be lengthy or a cause may never be found. That's not uncommon," Carrier said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads