Home » News » Public Safety
Officials say cause of Woodshed restaurant fire may never be determined
This fire destroyed the Woodshed Restaurant in Moultonborough in November. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
Investigators from the state Fire Marshal's office say they are still investigating witness accounts and are seeking new information about the fire from Woodshed employees and residents, but they still have not found the cause of the fire that leveled the 19th-century building that was once a farmhouse.
The last person in the restaurant left just before 9 p.m., employees said. The fire was reported just before 10 p.m., and by 11 p.m. the building was engulfed in flames.
Ouellette has said the owners will most likely not rebuild the restaurant, saying last month it would be impossible to recreate the restaurant.
Firefighters said the fire spread through the building quickly because of its age and all of the "fuel" for the fire inside — the mementos, books, ornaments and other items that helped give the restaurant its character, according to Ouellette.
Investigators who can't find a clear cause usually begin trying to rule out causes.
"If the destruction is such that very little is left, it's hard to rule out much, so the investigation can be lengthy or a cause may never be found. That's not uncommon," Carrier said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you