Home » News » Public Safety
Fatal fires increase awareness of smoke alarms
Since the Morrills death, and after a Manchester women died Tuesday in a home without working smoke alarms, fire officials statewide are urging residents to check their smoke alarms' batteries, and are asking people to make sure they have smoke alarms.
"It's important to have working smoke alarms and to have an escape plan. If a smoke alarm notifies people to get out of a building, that can be huge for the ability of people to survive a fire," Carrier said.
In both cases, entranceways to the homes were cluttered, and there were no working smoke alarms.
Firefighters say every home should have working smoke alarms.
The Bridgewater Fire Department was given a few dozen smoke alarms by a manufacturer and is distributing them free, as do many other fire departments, Mayo said People should not count on their fire departments for smoke alarms, though, he said. They can be bought at hardware and department stores. "They're not too expensive," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth