Home » News » Public Safety
Fatal fires increase awareness of smoke alarms
Since the Morrills death, and after a Manchester women died Tuesday in a home without working smoke alarms, fire officials statewide are urging residents to check their smoke alarms' batteries, and are asking people to make sure they have smoke alarms.
"It's important to have working smoke alarms and to have an escape plan. If a smoke alarm notifies people to get out of a building, that can be huge for the ability of people to survive a fire," Carrier said.
In both cases, entranceways to the homes were cluttered, and there were no working smoke alarms.
Firefighters say every home should have working smoke alarms.
The Bridgewater Fire Department was given a few dozen smoke alarms by a manufacturer and is distributing them free, as do many other fire departments, Mayo said People should not count on their fire departments for smoke alarms, though, he said. They can be bought at hardware and department stores. "They're not too expensive," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 4
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'