Home » News » Public Safety
Fatal fires increase awareness of smoke alarms
Since the Morrills death, and after a Manchester women died Tuesday in a home without working smoke alarms, fire officials statewide are urging residents to check their smoke alarms' batteries, and are asking people to make sure they have smoke alarms.
"It's important to have working smoke alarms and to have an escape plan. If a smoke alarm notifies people to get out of a building, that can be huge for the ability of people to survive a fire," Carrier said.
In both cases, entranceways to the homes were cluttered, and there were no working smoke alarms.
Firefighters say every home should have working smoke alarms.
The Bridgewater Fire Department was given a few dozen smoke alarms by a manufacturer and is distributing them free, as do many other fire departments, Mayo said People should not count on their fire departments for smoke alarms, though, he said. They can be bought at hardware and department stores. "They're not too expensive," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 2
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help