All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Woodstove causes Plaistow fire

By Adam Swift
Union Leader correspondent

February 12. 2014 11:16AM


Firefighters quickly extinguished a morning fire at 5 Glendale Circle in Plaistow. (Adam Swift)

PLAISTOW – Ashes from a woodstove started a second-floor kitchen fire at 5 Glendale Circle on Wednesday morning.

The call for the one-alarm fire came into the Plaistow Fire Department shortly after 9 a.m.

"The crews were here fairly quickly and it was a quick knockdown," said Fire Chief John McArdle.

There were no injuries as a result of the fire, but the owner was carried out because she wasn't wearing any shoes, according to the chief. She was taken to a neighbor's house while crews fought the fire.

Initially, the owner thought the fire originated in the woodstove she was cleaning.

However, McArdle said ashes placed in a metal bin caught onto some nearby wood, leading to the fire. The fire worked its way through the wall, but was contained to the second floor kitchen.

By 10:30 a.m., fire crews had cleared the scene and insurance adjustors were on hand to appraise the damage.



Public Safety General News Plaistow


More Headlines

Winds, waves hinder search for Argentine submarine

Aggregation