Pinkerton students make gains in reading, writing test scores
The scores rose sharply in writing, going up 15 percent, and increased by 3 percent in reading, according to administrators.
It isn’t easy, but all of the hard work in the classroom is resulting in improved reading scores, Harper said.
As for math, Pinkerton students scored at approximately the same level as the rest of the state, Harper said.
To help students who may be struggling with math, the school has hired a specialist to work as a math coach. Math isn’t an easy subject for many of students, not just at Pinkerton, but at high schools across the state, Harper said.
“It’s not just taking a quadratic equation and factoring it, it’s an involved scenario,” Harper said.
As a real world example, he said, he recently ordered three cords of wood. When he checked the delivery, it seemed a little light, and he wasn’t sure if he had received three full cords. But after performing some calculations, he realized the order was correct.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 0
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 6
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief