This week's Rare Bird Alert
A spotted towhee was spotted in Rye on Jan. 25, and has been seen many times since then. It was last reported on Feb. 9. It has been seen foraging on the ground in the scrub on the corner nearest the traffic island at the intersection of Central Road and Route 1A. An eastern towhee was seen in North Hampton on the 1st.
A northern shrike was seen on Airport Road in Laconia, and one was seen in Ashland, both on Feb. 9.
A glaucous gulL was seen at Hampton Harbor, from the Seabrook side, and one with different plumage was seen at Hampton Beach State Park, both on Feb. 10.
A flock of 150 snow buntings was reported from Lyme on Feb. 6, a flock of 75 was seen in Piermont on the 8th, and several were reported from Milan on the 8th.
Three turkey vultures were seen in Exeter on Feb. 8.
A merlin and a great horned owl were seen in Nashua on Feb. 6, and a merlin was seen in Ashland on the 9th.
A Cooper’s hawk was seen on North Road near Forbes Farm in Lancaster on Feb. 8.
A flock of more than 100 cedar waxwings was seen in Hanover on Feb. 6.
A female northern pintail was seen in Lakeport in Laconia on Feb. 9.A female king eider was seen from Ocean Avenue in New Castle several times in late January but has not been reported since Feb. 1.
Twelve great cormorants were seen along the Merrimack River in Manchester on Feb. 10.
This information is also available by phone recording: call 224-9909 and press 2 as directed or ask to be transferred. If you have seen any interesting birds recently, you can leave a message at the end of the recording or send your sightings to the RBA via e-mail at: email@example.com. Please put either “bird sighting” or “Rare Bird Alert” in the subject line and be sure to include your mailing address and phone number. The RBA is also available on-line at the New Hampshire Audubon web site, www.nhaudubon.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man who shot Huskies was worried he would be target of animal rights groups - 20
- Police say three Huskies missing in Merrimack were mistaken as wolves and shot, killed - 75
- Three missing Siberian Huskies found dead - 5
- 3 communities may share animal officer - 0
- Merrimack dog owner desperate to find three missing Huskies - 1
- Dock-diving dogs woof it up at Humane Society fundraiser - 0
- Walk for Whiskers to raise money to support shelter - 0
- Falcon recovering from first-of-its-kind cataract surgery - 1
- Monadnock Humane Society board to address executive director's dismissal - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vickers earns first pole in five years - 0
- James Pindell's The Back Story: Does the grassroots approach still work? - 3
- Shaheen: 'Don't Import Candiate That Outsources Jobs' - 18
- Abandoned Property: Romney, Brownies and even J.D. Salinger are on the list, are you? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur back on MPD's case, but this time with numbers - 2
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Londonderry man killed in cycle crash - 0
- Monitoring social media - 1
- Apple opens in Manchester - 0
Monitoring social media
More violence at Keene
Boz Scaggs explores a bit of 'Memphis'
Rowdy night ushers in Keene Pumpkin Festival
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy