This week's Rare Bird Alert
A spotted towhee was spotted in Rye on Jan. 25, and has been seen many times since then. It was last reported on Feb. 9. It has been seen foraging on the ground in the scrub on the corner nearest the traffic island at the intersection of Central Road and Route 1A. An eastern towhee was seen in North Hampton on the 1st.
A northern shrike was seen on Airport Road in Laconia, and one was seen in Ashland, both on Feb. 9.
A glaucous gulL was seen at Hampton Harbor, from the Seabrook side, and one with different plumage was seen at Hampton Beach State Park, both on Feb. 10.
A flock of 150 snow buntings was reported from Lyme on Feb. 6, a flock of 75 was seen in Piermont on the 8th, and several were reported from Milan on the 8th.
Three turkey vultures were seen in Exeter on Feb. 8.
A merlin and a great horned owl were seen in Nashua on Feb. 6, and a merlin was seen in Ashland on the 9th.
A Cooper’s hawk was seen on North Road near Forbes Farm in Lancaster on Feb. 8.
A flock of more than 100 cedar waxwings was seen in Hanover on Feb. 6.
A female northern pintail was seen in Lakeport in Laconia on Feb. 9.A female king eider was seen from Ocean Avenue in New Castle several times in late January but has not been reported since Feb. 1.
Twelve great cormorants were seen along the Merrimack River in Manchester on Feb. 10.
This information is also available by phone recording: call 224-9909 and press 2 as directed or ask to be transferred. If you have seen any interesting birds recently, you can leave a message at the end of the recording or send your sightings to the RBA via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put either “bird sighting” or “Rare Bird Alert” in the subject line and be sure to include your mailing address and phone number. The RBA is also available on-line at the New Hampshire Audubon web site, www.nhaudubon.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 37
- Thomas Sowell: The legal system exists to prevent mob 'justice' - 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 22
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released