Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Plow driver gave chase following man's scuffle with officer outside Epping Wal-Mart
"I could see the officer was clearly waiting for someone to come out," she said.
The owner of Barker Backhoe in Exeter, Barker knew something was up so she kept her eye on the scene. She saw Hero attempt to nab the suspect, later identified as Joshua Peno, but she jumped into action when she saw Peno dart across the front of the parking lot with Hero chasing after him.
"I thought maybe I could at least slow him down enough for the officer to catch up to him," she said.
But before she could intervene, Hero had caught up to Peno and the two were wrestling on the ground.
As Hero tried to arrest him, the video shows Peno slipping out of his sweatshirt, which is thrown to the ground.
Peno allegedly struck Hero in the head before escaping Hero's grasp and racing toward a getaway car.
A female driving the car — a 1995 blue Ford Taurus — was able to get by her and fled the parking lot.
He is accused of attempting to steal $1,172 worth of DVDs from Wal-Mart.
While Peno initially got away, Hero was able to remember the number on the vehicle's temporary license plate.
Peno also had active felony arrest warrants for theft issued by the Concord Police Department, Newman said. He was arraigned on those charges Friday and was expected to be turned over to Epping police to face arraignment on their charges.
Hero wasn't injured and did not require medical treatment.
"Luckily Officer Hero did not sustain any serious injuries," Police Chief Michael Wallace said.
"We certainly appreciate her effort to assist us," police Capt. Jason Newman said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry coach found not guilty in girl's sex assault - 0
- Police: Convicted Antrim sex offender mentored child he molested - 1
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 3
- Manchester man convicted on drug, weapons counts - 1
- Jury considers fate of Londonderry man in sex assault trial - 0
- Bay State following in NH's footsteps with 'upskirting' law - 2
- Epping supermarket worker arrested after brutal break room attack on female coworker - 9
- Nashua woman arrested in connection with homeless man's hit-and-run death - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Giampetruzzi leads Trinity into D-I semis - 0
FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon
Rondo leads Celtics past Nets
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief