Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm leaves family homeless in Loudon
Firefighters were called to 975 Route 129, just after 1 p.m. by an occupant of the two-story, single-family home. When they reached the home, heavy flames filled much of the building, said Fire Chief Richard Wright.
The fire was found to be heaviest in the basement of the home in a laundry room, but most if not all of the rooms in the house had significant fire damage, Wright said.
Wright said the fire was not suspicious in nature.
"It started in the dryer," Wright said. "It spread fast from there."
Firefighters reached the home quickly, said Lt. John Reese, but the fire had done most of its damage when they arrived.
"It went up pretty quick," Reese said. "Our crews got to it quickly and stopped the fire."
The fire itself didn't reach parts of the second floor, but the heat from the fire "melted a lot of the upstairs rooms."
The heavy winds Friday were not a problem, Reese said.
"Not a problem, what happened here is the building was shut tight, all the windows closed, and the fire just spread before we got there."
The fire was called under control at about 2:30 p.m., Wright said.
According town tax maps, the owner of the home is Earl E. Dunbar.
As fire crews began to leave the scene at about 4 p.m., two occupants of the home, a boy and an older woman, were outside the home. They did not want to talk about the fire.
Wright said the Red Cross was called and is caring for the occupants.
The chief was not sure if the home was salvageable.
"It's in pretty bad shape, I don't know," said Wright.
Firefighters from Loudon, Pittsfield, Canterbury, Gilmanton, Chichester, Barnstead, Laconia, Epsom, and Northwood were called to fight the fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Nashua mayor: Greeley Park is right spot for playground - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents