Two-alarm leaves family homeless in LoudonBy DAN SEUFERT
Union Leader Correspondent
February 14. 2014 6:56PM
LOUDON – A family was displaced after a two-alarm fire caused heavy fire, smoke, and heat damage that ruined much if not all of their Route 129 home, fire officials said.
Firefighters were called to 975 Route 129, just after 1 p.m. by an occupant of the two-story, single-family home. When they reached the home, heavy flames filled much of the building, said Fire Chief Richard Wright.
The fire was found to be heaviest in the basement of the home in a laundry room, but most if not all of the rooms in the house had significant fire damage, Wright said.
Wright said the fire was not suspicious in nature.
"It started in the dryer," Wright said. "It spread fast from there."
Firefighters reached the home quickly, said Lt. John Reese, but the fire had done most of its damage when they arrived.
"It went up pretty quick," Reese said. "Our crews got to it quickly and stopped the fire."
The fire itself didn't reach parts of the second floor, but the heat from the fire "melted a lot of the upstairs rooms."
The heavy winds Friday were not a problem, Reese said.
"Not a problem, what happened here is the building was shut tight, all the windows closed, and the fire just spread before we got there."
The fire was called under control at about 2:30 p.m., Wright said.
According town tax maps, the owner of the home is Earl E. Dunbar.
As fire crews began to leave the scene at about 4 p.m., two occupants of the home, a boy and an older woman, were outside the home. They did not want to talk about the fire.
Wright said the Red Cross was called and is caring for the occupants.
The chief was not sure if the home was salvageable.
"It's in pretty bad shape, I don't know," said Wright.
Firefighters from Loudon, Pittsfield, Canterbury, Gilmanton, Chichester, Barnstead, Laconia, Epsom, and Northwood were called to fight the fire.