Home » News » Public Safety
Fire damages new Cinemagic theater in Portsmouth
A snowplow driver working in the plaza spotted the fire around 5:42 a.m., Portsmouth Fire Chief Steve Achilles said.PORTSMOUTH - A fire ignited by a natural gas leak damaged the roof of the new Cinemagic Stadium 10 theater in the Southgate Plaza this morning, a fire official said. Firefighters arrived at 5:48 a.m. and found the rooftop HVAC unit on fire at the 10-screen cinema at 2454 Lafayette Road.
The natural gas and power supplied to the unit was immediately shut off. Achilles said firefighters knocked down the flames using multiple portable extinguishers.PORTSMOUTH - A fire ignited by a natural gas leak damaged the roof of the new Cinemagic Stadium 10 theater in the Southgate Plaza this morning, a fire official said. The fire damaged the roof membrane and insulation, but Achilles said it could have been much worse.
"We could have had a lot of damage if nobody noticed it," he said.
Achilles said firefighters discovered that the weight of the snow on the roof likely caused the natural gas piping to pull away from the unit, creating a leak which then ignited.
Firefighters worried that piping to other units was also compromised by the snow, he said.
The city's plumbing and fire inspectors were called in to inspect the units and will work with Cinemagic and its contractor to address any problems at the theater, which opened Jan. 24.
Inspectors will have to determine whether the problem was related to the snow load on the roof, the roof's design, or the design of the natural gas piping, Achilles said.
Achilles said firefighters were familiar with the theater because it was a new building.
"We're extremely fortunate that the whole department did site reviews over the last couple of weeks," he said.
Cinemagic in Portsmouth has since re-opened. Patrons were urged to check the website or call the theater for current showtimes, said Deb Schimmel, spokesman for theater owner Zyacorp Companies of Bedford.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads