Forest Journal: Bobcat's visit dramatizes species' resurgence in NH
Apparently done entertaining workers at the Conservation Center in Concord, a visiting bobcat heads toward the parking lot. (STEVEN JUNKIN)
It really was much more exciting: A bobcat sauntered around right outside our office here at the Concord neighborhood home of the Conservation Center. It climbed up the hill that rises above the conserved floodplain of the Merrimack River and hunkered down for a while in our garden area in full view of our staff. Then it walked around the building toward the front door and parking lot.
If our building were a raft, we would have nearly tipped over several times, given all the weight concentrated first on one side, then another as we moved en masse to whichever window provided the best view.
All the enthusiasm shows how rare it is to see a bobcat. Many staffers here spend lots of time out in the woods but either had never seen one or had just one other bobcat-sighting story. My only other sighting was, ironically, just two weeks ago at my home in Sanbornton.
In his 2013 book, "The Once and Future World," J.B. MacKinnon makes a case for changing our relationship to nature so that we can gain back some of the wildness that once existed. He argues that we live in a world that is a faint echo of the teeming life that was once here, that 90 percent of the diversity of life that once existed on earth has been lost.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Idol’ talk in NH as Mont Vernon's Alex Preston in final 6 - 0
- Hooksett board wants to hear from residents on failed Pinkerton deal - 0
- Mt. Washington warning: Spring a time of danger - 0
- Bedford police will collect old, unused and unwanted drugs - 0
- Ashland Community Garden ribbon-cutting set for Saturday - 0
- Cynthia's Challenge raises $31K to help buy service dog - 0
- Preston's 'Idol' adventure goes on - 1
- Hemophilia Charity Bike Ride Comes to New Hampshire - 0
- Scholars from Across U.S. Gather at Plymouth State University's 35th Annual Medieval and Renaissance Forum April 25 and 26 - 0
Preston's 'Idol' adventure goes on
NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
In loving defense of the humble, comfy clog
Win tickets to see Cheap Trick
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Win tickets to see The Monkees!
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Sen. Odell won't seek re-election