Roger Simon: The campaign war against citizen journalists
They do not believe that journalism is agenda-free or that a journalist's only agenda is to report the truth without "fear or favor."
What really got candidates in trouble in the most recent two presidential campaigns? Comments made by candidates who assumed no reporters were in the room.
Clinton also told crowds that her father taught her to shoot when she was young. "Americans who believe in the Second Amendment believe it's a constitutional right," Clinton said. "Americans who believe in God believe it's a matter of personal faith."
The Obama campaign was furious with Fowler, saying she had attended a donor-only, closed-press event and then had betrayed the campaign by acting like a journalist.
"I'm 61," she said in another interview.
But she was. Typically, reporters are forbidden by their employers to contribute to political campaigns, but Fowler didn't view herself as operating under such conventional rules.
In May 2012, Mitt Romney held a $50,000-per-plate off-the-record fundraiser at a private home in Boca Raton, Fla., where he delivered what became known as his "47 percent" remarks.
To some, they represented the remarks of an uncaring fat cat. Romney denied that but was forced to reply: "Well, um, it's not elegantly stated; let me put it that way."
"Actually, I didn't say that," Romney told Balz. "That's how it began to be perceived, and so I had to ultimately respond to the perception, because perception is reality."
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing Florida dog found in Salem, how it made the trip remains mystery - 1
- Giving thanks for her wonderful dogs - even the difficult ones - 1
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- One dog tale that had tongues wagging - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Automatic spaying, neutering of mixed-breed dogs has a downside - 0
- Woman sues after her dogs kill neighbor's pet beagle - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Breed's bad reputation skews the truth about pitbulls - 2
- Auburn family's dog found shot in head - 10
- Cat dies after reportedly being thrown from vehicle on Route 11 in New Durham - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 0
- Celtics dominate Orlando - 0
- Bruins hold on in Minnesota, beat Wild in OT - 0
- Andreoff hat trick paces Monarchs - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 0
- More theft-related charges for Raymond woman - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
Police arrest pair after bullets fly
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose