Roger Simon: The campaign war against citizen journalists
They do not believe that journalism is agenda-free or that a journalist's only agenda is to report the truth without "fear or favor."
What really got candidates in trouble in the most recent two presidential campaigns? Comments made by candidates who assumed no reporters were in the room.
Clinton also told crowds that her father taught her to shoot when she was young. "Americans who believe in the Second Amendment believe it's a constitutional right," Clinton said. "Americans who believe in God believe it's a matter of personal faith."
The Obama campaign was furious with Fowler, saying she had attended a donor-only, closed-press event and then had betrayed the campaign by acting like a journalist.
"I'm 61," she said in another interview.
But she was. Typically, reporters are forbidden by their employers to contribute to political campaigns, but Fowler didn't view herself as operating under such conventional rules.
In May 2012, Mitt Romney held a $50,000-per-plate off-the-record fundraiser at a private home in Boca Raton, Fla., where he delivered what became known as his "47 percent" remarks.
To some, they represented the remarks of an uncaring fat cat. Romney denied that but was forced to reply: "Well, um, it's not elegantly stated; let me put it that way."
"Actually, I didn't say that," Romney told Balz. "That's how it began to be perceived, and so I had to ultimately respond to the perception, because perception is reality."
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis officials seek to protect conservation lands from pipeline project - 0
- Funding for Berlin wind farm up for council hearing Wednesday - 1
- City landfill could host state’s largest solar farm - 5
- Plans for Manchester solar array project move forward - 0
- Utilities offer tips to help fight high winter energy costs - 0
- Bracing for the heating season throughout New Hampshire - 1
- Firewood scarcity driven by demand throughout NH - 2
- Hopkinton wood program is neighbor to neighbor - 0
- Fire marshal OKs Groton Wind operations after deeming facility safe - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 0
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 0
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Giving Max effort for the Wildcats - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
School's out for voters
Trump fired up over NH mailer