BELMONT _ A fire at a multifamily home seriously damaged a second-floor apartment Monday, Fire officials said.
The call to the fire at 40 Concord St. came in at 6:11 p.m. and was declared under control about 25 minutes later. The initial cause was listed as careless disposal of smoking materials.
"It was a quick knockdown. We got right in and took care of it," Lt. Fred Greene said Monday night.
A 10-year-old boy who was in the apartment escaped without injury.
Although the second-floor apartment was uninhabitable after the fire, the fire department said the building's owner was able to stay in the first-floor unit.