Home » News » Weather » Storm Blog
Storm's timing made afternoon, evening commute treacherous
Martha Dagher, from Manchester, waits for AAA, as she cannot make it up Hanover Street by Hall Street during the snowstorm in Manchester on Tuesday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
Chris Nagle shovels snow offf his Maple Street home during the snowstorm in Manchester on Tuesday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
A good samaritan helps a motorist stuck in the snow on Tuesday in Manchester. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
A cyclist peddles through a white-out during Tuesday's storm in Manchester. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
"It came at just the right or the wrong time, depending on your perspective," said James Brown, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine.
While the snow blitz was brief — lasting only about six hours — the storm left a swath of 6 to 8 inches across most of southern New Hampshire, with some places receiving even more.
Many schools dismissed students early to get them home safely before the heaviest snow arrived, but some buses still had to navigate the snow-covered roads as the snow picked up around the time that schools closed.
"There's no crashes, it's just slow going," said state police spokesman Lt. Nicole Armeganian. She said the southbound side seemed to be more gridlocked than northbound.
In Londonderry, a U.S. Postal Service vehicle slid off of Mammoth Road and a train reportedly became stuck in snow on Main Street in Nashua.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 0
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 6
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again