Home » News » Weather » Storm Blog
Heavy burst of snow to make for treacherous commute
The snow that began falling in southern areas by late morning is expected to turn heavy by about 2 p.m., with snowfall rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour at times, according to Michael Kistner, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine.
The heaviest snow will likely fall through about 6 p.m. with the possibility of some thunder, he said.
"The rush hour is going to be tricky. The snowfall will be coming down and the plows won't be able to keep up with it. It's probably going to be pretty treacherous driving out there," Kistner said.
While the snow blitz will be brief, Kistner said southeastern parts of the state will likely pick up 6 to 8 inches with most falling around the start of the evening commute.
"This storm is pretty much going to come together over southern New England and then head into the Gulf of Maine," he said.
Many schools dismissed students early to get them home safely before the heaviest snow arrives.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Sugar Hill eyes money to fight Northern Pass - 1
- Natural gas bills almost double - 5
- Fuller Oil customers frustrated once more - 13
- Support for solar project in Monadnock Region sought - 0
- Iberdrola must file new application for Wild Meadows project - 1
- Heating pellets prove to be in short supply in NH - 13
- Wind farm firm puts application on hold to address safety issues at Groton site - 5
- Groton resident settles with wind farm company - 0
- Advertising campaign pushes for underground Northern Pass - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Playoff-contending Suns deal Celtics their 10th loss in 13 games - 0
- College Hockey: One goal is enough for UNH in opener - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops series opener - 0
- Div. III Boys' Hoop semis: Campbell upsets top seed - 0
- Div. II Boys' Hoop semis: Pembroke rolls into final - 0
- Driver charged with biting state trooper on I-93 - 0
- Wit flies at Wild Irish Breakfast in Nashua - 0
- Autopsy shows Rochester man shot by officers 3 times - 0
- NFL Roundup: Pats sign cornerback Browner - 0
14 people arrested in Nashua drug sweep
Manchester actress Kaleigh Cronin visits Jersey before heading to Big Apple's Great White Way with role in 'Cabaret'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown announces exploratory committee for US Senate run
NH Supreme Court: Protecting police from liability more important than rights of man wrongly accused of rape
Manchester police pursuit ends in arrest