Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
2 of 3 arson charges stand against Gilmanton man
LACONIA — A Circuit Court judge dismissed an arson charge against a Gilmanton man Tuesday, but found probable cause on two other counts of arson in connection with a pair of January blazes.
Jason E. Clairmont, 36, of 33 Mallard Lane, was arrested Feb. 4 on three counts of arson. Police said he set fire to a car parked Sept. 4, 2013, in the lot at the Funky Monkey night club, and started two other fires on Jan. 25 — in a car parked at Bowman and Academy streets, and in some lattice work on a house at 91 Highland St.
Judge James Carroll, who presided at the hearings in 4th Circuit Court, Laconia District Division, ruled prosecutors did not have enough evidence to charge Clairmont with the Sept. 4 blaze, and dismissed the charge.
According to the Laconia Daily Sun, the fire caused $2,500 in damage to the car's top. Investigators believed the blaze was started when an open flame, such as a cigarette lighter, was held to it.
Clairmont told police he staggered into the car while smoking a cigar. Surveillance tapes showed Clairmont walking near the car, but little else.
The judge found probable cause on the other two arson counts; those were forwarded to Belknap County Superior Court for possible indictments by a grand jury.
Clairmont was arrested after an investigation by police, the state Fire Marshal’s Office and the Laconia Fire Department.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Raymond police investigating thefts of cord wood - 0
- Pelham police arrest Mass. man near scene of thefts from cars - 0
- UPDATE: Boscawen police have two men in custody - 0
- Dover man accused of robbing woman at knifepoint - 0
- Man faces many charges following Milford rampage - 0
- Accused New Ipswich bank robber says he shouldn’t be on the streets - 1
- Manchester man accused of violating bail conditions - 0
- Jury: Bow roofer swindled customers in Rockingham County. - 0
- Voyeurism complaints against former UNH athletic staffer stem from Vermont game - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Senate passes Medicaid expansion on bipartisan vote - 2
- House kills suicide-related bills - 1
- Staples to shut 225 stores as online competition hurts sales - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 0
- St. A Hawks grounded by the Chargers - 0
- Manchester Memorial’s reign comes to an end - 0
- MTA seeks shift to city’s health plan - 1
- Eliminating budget group focus of deliberative session - 0
House votes for cellphone ban while driving