Home » News » War » Sept. 11 remembered
Fish for football
Fishing derby nets $3,500 for Belmont football program
Winners in the first-ever Friends of Belmont Football fishing derby were, from left, Cody Watson, Brendon Scheffer, Bruce Perkins, Mark Forgione Jr. and Tanner Woods. (Dan Seufert Photo)
The derby, held Saturday and Sunday, drew 91 anglers to Lake Winnisquam, said Belmont parent and volunteer Eric Shirley. The group's goal is to bring students a high school football program.
Shirley, who was an offensive lineman at Plymouth State University in the 1980s, said Belmont and Gilford high school officials are negotiating a potential arrangement that would send Belmont students who want to play football to Gilford.
At Christmas, the group made close to $4,000 selling Christmas trees. They had 160 for sale, "and we sold 157 of them," Shirley said.
Over the weekend, the group awarded prizes in raffles and for the largest pickerel, white perch, yellow perch, and cusk caught. The headquarters was at Winnisquam Market and Deli, whose owners provided lots of support for the derby, Shirley said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Granite State campuses leap into spring with April performances - 0
- Joan Osborne's new album beats with matters of the heart - 0
- Hood Museum of Art wields views of power, strength, artistry and ceremony with exhibition of African objects - 0
- Painters' works on view in Holderness - 0
- Stiletto Brass Quintet steps onto PSU's Silver Center Friday night - 0
- Milwaukee painter David Fleming shares work in Rochester showing - 0
- Emerging artists on display at Paul Creative Arts Center - 0
- Exhibit chronicles New Hampshire Veteran's Association's history - 0
- Marshmallow candies inspiration for diorama contest - 0
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
Hood Museum of Art wields views of power, strength, artistry and ceremony with exhibition of African objects
Shamrock count winners
New breakfast, lunch diner opens in Hooksett
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
School fights mascot battle