Fish for football
Fishing derby nets $3,500 for Belmont football program
Winners in the first-ever Friends of Belmont Football fishing derby were, from left, Cody Watson, Brendon Scheffer, Bruce Perkins, Mark Forgione Jr. and Tanner Woods. (Dan Seufert Photo)
The derby, held Saturday and Sunday, drew 91 anglers to Lake Winnisquam, said Belmont parent and volunteer Eric Shirley. The group's goal is to bring students a high school football program.
Shirley, who was an offensive lineman at Plymouth State University in the 1980s, said Belmont and Gilford high school officials are negotiating a potential arrangement that would send Belmont students who want to play football to Gilford.
At Christmas, the group made close to $4,000 selling Christmas trees. They had 160 for sale, "and we sold 157 of them," Shirley said.
Over the weekend, the group awarded prizes in raffles and for the largest pickerel, white perch, yellow perch, and cusk caught. The headquarters was at Winnisquam Market and Deli, whose owners provided lots of support for the derby, Shirley said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alice Cooper 'Raise The Dead – Live From Wacken' DVD out October 21 in North America via UDR Music - 0
- Joan Osborne & The Weight: Members of The Band in Plymouth next weekend - 0
- Signature Chefs Auction® Honors Manchester's Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield - 0
- Five Finger Death Punch co-headlining Fall arena tour with Volbeat kicks off today, hits Lowell September 26 - 0
- Win tickets to see Kip Moore - 0
- Win tickets to see Demi Lovato - 0
- Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio - 0
- Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads - 0
- Win tickets to see Tower of Power - 0
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua