UNH lecturers vote to unionize
By a 141 to 23 vote, the lecturers agreed to form UNH Lecturers United-AAUP, an affiliate of the national group known as the Association of American University Professors.
UNH has 202 lecturers on the Durham and Manchester campuses who teach full time but are not tenured. Most work in the College of Liberal Arts.
They said they key issues were clear terms of contract, job security, an established date for contract renewal, pay raises in step with lecturers at other institutions, and policies for evaluation.
The next step for the newly formed union will be negotiating contracts with the UNH administration.
University provost Lisa MacFarlane has argued that a union wasn’t necessary, but declined to comment Thursday night when contacted at home, referring questions to UNH spokesman Erika Mantz.
“UNH officials maintain that a union is not necessary to continue to make progress in areas of mutual concern, but the lecturers have expressed their preference,” Mantz said. “The university will designate a bargaining team, led by Chief Negotiator Candace Corvey, and prepare to begin negotiations.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New London voters pass municipal budget - 0
- Peterborough voters say no to cluster housing, yes to village zone - 0
- Newport voters say yes to police and DPW raises - 0
- Hooksett voters OK budget, police pact - 0
- Voters reject propane-only heating plan at Lafayette Regional School - 0
- Zoning measures against sprawl on Peterborough Town Meeting ballot - 0
- Town engineer, budget increase on Hooksett ballot - 0
- New London residents to vote on $1.17 million budget - 0
- Sanbornton to vote on cruisers, voting date - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride