UNH lecturers vote to unionize
By a 141 to 23 vote, the lecturers agreed to form UNH Lecturers United-AAUP, an affiliate of the national group known as the Association of American University Professors.
UNH has 202 lecturers on the Durham and Manchester campuses who teach full time but are not tenured. Most work in the College of Liberal Arts.
They said they key issues were clear terms of contract, job security, an established date for contract renewal, pay raises in step with lecturers at other institutions, and policies for evaluation.
The next step for the newly formed union will be negotiating contracts with the UNH administration.
University provost Lisa MacFarlane has argued that a union wasn’t necessary, but declined to comment Thursday night when contacted at home, referring questions to UNH spokesman Erika Mantz.
“UNH officials maintain that a union is not necessary to continue to make progress in areas of mutual concern, but the lecturers have expressed their preference,” Mantz said. “The university will designate a bargaining team, led by Chief Negotiator Candace Corvey, and prepare to begin negotiations.”
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
- Anti-bully message on display at Pinkerton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry victim of Maine shooting expected to recover - 0
- Derry man facing sex assaults wants trial, rejects plea deal - 0
- Bail set at $20,000 for escapee captured after DWI wreck of stolen car - 0
- Utility truck overturns as vehicles dodge ladder on Route 101 in Exeter - 1
- Missing inmate arrested in Rochester after crash - 3
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'