UNH lecturers vote to unionize
By a 141 to 23 vote, the lecturers agreed to form UNH Lecturers United-AAUP, an affiliate of the national group known as the Association of American University Professors.
UNH has 202 lecturers on the Durham and Manchester campuses who teach full time but are not tenured. Most work in the College of Liberal Arts.
They said they key issues were clear terms of contract, job security, an established date for contract renewal, pay raises in step with lecturers at other institutions, and policies for evaluation.
The next step for the newly formed union will be negotiating contracts with the UNH administration.
University provost Lisa MacFarlane has argued that a union wasn’t necessary, but declined to comment Thursday night when contacted at home, referring questions to UNH spokesman Erika Mantz.
“UNH officials maintain that a union is not necessary to continue to make progress in areas of mutual concern, but the lecturers have expressed their preference,” Mantz said. “The university will designate a bargaining team, led by Chief Negotiator Candace Corvey, and prepare to begin negotiations.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 3
- BANANAS and NH's energy needs - 5
- Gruber should have been Time's 'Person of the Year' - 5
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 24
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 16
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 1
- Another View - Debra and Marc Tice: Give families a say in hostage policy - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Politicians betray us by betraying our protectors - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
A new era for Nashua's police force
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'