Sen. Ayotte concerned about cuts in COLA for new service members
“What we did last week doesn’t fix everything. In fact, I remain concerned that service members who have joined since Jan. 1 are still facing the same cuts to their cost of living increases,” Ayotte, R-N.H., said Tuesday while standing in front of a small group of veterans at Merrimack VFW Post 8641.
However, following significant attention from Ayotte and other political leaders, Congress last week approved legislation that restores military retirement benefits for current military retirees, and protects service members who joined the military before Jan. 1.
Ayotte described the recent action as a very important step toward correcting a “terrible cut” with an estimated $6.3 billion in savings. Still, she says more should be done.
Last week’s victory in Congress was a result of the men and women in uniform bringing forward their concerns, according to Ayotte.
However, he warned that the commission assigned to study this matter must take into consideration how retiree benefits may directly affect recruit efforts and military retention.
“This is a very important issue that I still think needs to be addressed,” said Ayotte, adding she still had pending legislation she hopes may be beneficial.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Alternative energy vehicles rule Mount Washington Auto road - 0
- Natural gas pipeline still holds promise for Groveton - 1
- Bird causes Concord-area power outage Monday - 0
- Swanzey solar array should be completed by end of 2014 - 1
- New Londonderry transmission line project will add 60 more utility poles - 0
- 'Northern Trespass' film to be screened in Nashua on Thursday night - 0
- Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America - 0
- Ayotte says Northern Pass lines should be buried beneath roads - 12
- Tariffs tabled in state energy talks - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over