Home » News » Public Safety
Fatal accidents in Epping, Merrimack on Friday; One crash results in DUI charge
According to a release from the New Hampshire State Police, the accident happened shortly after 7 p.m. Police said a Mitsubishi 3000 GT operated by Nghia Huynh, 37, of Nashua was traveling southbound and lost control, striking the center median concrete barrier and rolled over into the northbound travel lane.
A Hyundai Sonata operated by Bernd Elsner, of Germany, was traveling northbound at the time and hit the Mitsubishi. Elsner's car, in turn, was hit by a Ford Focus driven by Patricia Poliquin, 55, of Bradford.
Police said the impact from the Hyundai hitting the Mitsubishi resulted in the death of an identified young male passenger in Huyuh's car. The passenger was pronounced dead at the scene. Huynh was taken to Elliott Hospital and Poliquin was taken to Catholic Medical Center to be evaluated.
At the hospital, police said Huynh was arrested and charged with aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol, a felony.
The crash remains under investigation. Anyone with information may contact Trooper Thomas Conlon at 603-223-8490 or email at Thomas.Conlon@dos.nh.gov.
In addition to the state police, the Merrimack Police Department, Merrimack Fire & Rescue Department, Bedford Fire & Rescue Department, NH Department of Transportation, NH Medical Examiner's Office, and NH State Police Collision Analysis & Reconstruction Unit assisted at the scene.
One killed in Epping head-on collision
EPPING - One person was killed Friday night in a head-on crash on Route 125 just north of Route 87, police said.
In an unrelated incident, there was what police called a serious crash on the F.E. Everett Turnpike prior to the Bedford toll booth.
In Epping, police Capt. Jason Newman said a car traveling north crossed into oncoming traffic and struck a vehicle head-on in the southbound lane around 7:30 p.m.
The driver of the car that crossed over died at the scene, Newman said. The driver and a passenger in the vehicle that was hit suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to a local hospital.
Newman said police aren't sure why the vehicle crossed into the other lane and that the crash remains under investigation.
Traffic heading north and south on Route 125 was being detoured onto North River Road.
State police and Lee police were assisting Epping police.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test