Home » News » Public Safety
College student from Rye reported missing in Rome
John Durkin, a junior economics major and member of the football team at the Lewiston, Maine, college, was with a study-abroad program run by Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., when he was reported missing, according to a statement on the Bates College website.
"This situation is deeply distressing for John's family, his fellow students and the entire Bates community. We are working actively with Trinity College to monitor events as they evolve, and we will share information as it becomes available," the statement said.
Bates College spokeswoman Meg Kimmel said Durkin was among six Bates students in the program and that his father was flying to Rome on Friday night to help with the search.
Trinity College is working with the Italian authorities to determine the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, the statement said.
According to Durkin's Facebook page, he went to high school at Governor's Academy in Byfield, Mass., graduating in 2011.
His cousin, Tommy Durkin, posted on his Facebook page that Durkin was last seen "late at night in a bar" with a few other Americans on Wednesday and "hasn't been seen since." Tommy Durkin said John Durkin's uncle was in Rome on Friday to meet with police and the U.S. Embassy there, and that John Durkin's father was on his way to Rome.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads