Home » News » Public Safety
College student from Rye reported missing in Rome
John Durkin, a junior economics major and member of the football team at the Lewiston, Maine, college, was with a study-abroad program run by Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., when he was reported missing, according to a statement on the Bates College website.
"This situation is deeply distressing for John's family, his fellow students and the entire Bates community. We are working actively with Trinity College to monitor events as they evolve, and we will share information as it becomes available," the statement said.
Bates College spokeswoman Meg Kimmel said Durkin was among six Bates students in the program and that his father was flying to Rome on Friday night to help with the search.
Trinity College is working with the Italian authorities to determine the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, the statement said.
According to Durkin's Facebook page, he went to high school at Governor's Academy in Byfield, Mass., graduating in 2011.
His cousin, Tommy Durkin, posted on his Facebook page that Durkin was last seen "late at night in a bar" with a few other Americans on Wednesday and "hasn't been seen since." Tommy Durkin said John Durkin's uncle was in Rome on Friday to meet with police and the U.S. Embassy there, and that John Durkin's father was on his way to Rome.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride