Home » News » Public Safety
Portsmouth office building evacuated over fear heavy snow could cause collapse
Firefighters responded to the Griffin Park Professional Building at 200 Griffin Road just before 9 a.m. to check the safety of the building after occupants noticed a 1-inch gap between the ceiling tiles and sprinkler heads, Fire Capt. Todd Germain said.
Employees feared the ceiling was about to collapse due to the snow load on the roof.
Germain said about 50 employees and other patrons evacuated the building, which houses several business offices, while firefighters investigated. A building engineer who designed the building lives nearby and responded to inspect the building as well.
Germain said the engineer determined that the building was safe because it was designed to “flex” a certain amount and can handle the amount of snow on the roof.
"Essentially the snow load, as heavy as it is, was still well within the safety design of the building," Germain said.
Germain said the roof drains were also checked and were working fine.
"They did the right thing. They saw something that seemed unusual and they knew there was a snow load up there," Germain said.
All of the building's occupants were allowed back inside less than an hour after firefighters arrived.
The heavy snow in recent weeks has prompted concerns about roof collapses.
Germain said it’s important that roof drains are clear of ice to allow proper drainage. Officials have also urged people to clear heavy snow loads from flat roofs to avoid a collapse.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 2
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 3
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 0
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 0
- 9th-inning error sends Red Sox to third straight loss - 0
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers