Frequent snowstorms taking a toll on Manchester's plowing budget
A Manchester Highway Dept plow clears snow on Lake Ave. during a 2011 storm. (BOB LaPREE/UNION LEADER FILE)
Five snowstorms in a 10-day period this month drained an estimated 25 percent of Manchester's snow plowing budget for the winter of 2014, and city highway officials say the accounts are now depleted.
Bills are still being tallied for the most recent storms, but the budget took at big hit earlier in the month with multiple storms in less than a week's time.
National Weather Service records say that central New Hampshire has received close to 80 inches of snow so far this winter — close to three feet of snow in February alone — during which there have been eight days on which an inch or more of snow has fallen.
"It is part of the general fund, so we will be making up any shortfall with that," Clougherty said. "If we feel that our entire department general fund will be exceeded, we would have to go the Board of Mayor and Aldermen."
Frequent storms take their toll on equipment, which may require repairs when it is needed on the streets. The Public Works Department has asked the Board of Mayor and Aldermen to allow it to keep a older truck that was scheduled to be scrapped, just in case it is needed while other equipment is being repaired.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Residents in western N.Y. call snow worst in memory - 0
- Slick commute in store for some NH motorists today - 1
- Windy weather whips across New Hampshire - 0
- Leaks fixed, visits resume at Goffstown women's prison - 0
- Storm brings heavy rain, flooding to southern NH - 0
- UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison - 2
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley