Roger Simon: Who are the real thugs?
It's the day after Thanksgiving 2012, and four teenagers are sitting in a Dodge Durango outside a convenience store in Jacksonville, Fla.
The Durango is red, which is unimportant. The teenagers are black, which is important.
The situation escalates. Dunn claims seeing one teenager pushing open the door of the Durango. (This is later denied by the teenagers.) Dunn also claims that he sees a weapon in the Durango. "I saw a barrel come up on the window, like a single-shot shotgun. . It was either a barrel or a stick," Dunn tells police. "I'm s--ing bricks, but that's when I reached in my glove box, unholstered my pistol . and so quicker than a flash, I had a round chambered in it, and I shot." Dunn says he always keeps the pistol loaded.
Hey, this Florida. The Gunshine State.
Dunn fires four shots into the Durango. The Durango pulls away. Dunn gets out of his car and aims again at the teenagers' vehicle. "I was still scared, and so I shot four more times . trying to keep their heads down to not catch any return fire. And that was it," Dunn says later.
Davis, a high-school junior, had just gotten a job at McDonald's to earn extra money. At Thanksgiving dinner, the day before he was shot, he thanked God for his family and especially his mom.
He pleads not guilty, saying he shot in self-defense.
Dunn's lawyer at trial, Cory Strolla, tells the jury: "God didn't make all men equal. Colt did. Colt is a firearm. (Dunn) had every right under the law to not be a victim, to be judged by 12 rather than carried by six."
In both the Zimmerman case and the Dunn case, armed white men shot and killed unarmed black teenagers.
But who are the real thugs, the unarmed black kids who play loud music or walk to stores to buy Skittles or the white guys who are armed to the teeth and quick on the trigger?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 12
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 1
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 1
- Another View -- Max Boot: Six steps to a better strategy for defeating ISIS - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Wait, when did we finish talking about Gruber? - 4
- Charles Krauthammer: The climate pact swindle - 0
- Roger Simon: So why don't the media report better news? - 0
- George Will: Required reading on a Rockefeller - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Rymes is ready to roll following Fred Fuller purchase - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 5
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 6
- On being American: A point for reflection - 2
- Rymes takes over for Fuller, deliveries start Wednesday - 1
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection