Roger Simon: Who are the real thugs?
It's the day after Thanksgiving 2012, and four teenagers are sitting in a Dodge Durango outside a convenience store in Jacksonville, Fla.
The Durango is red, which is unimportant. The teenagers are black, which is important.
The situation escalates. Dunn claims seeing one teenager pushing open the door of the Durango. (This is later denied by the teenagers.) Dunn also claims that he sees a weapon in the Durango. "I saw a barrel come up on the window, like a single-shot shotgun. . It was either a barrel or a stick," Dunn tells police. "I'm s--ing bricks, but that's when I reached in my glove box, unholstered my pistol . and so quicker than a flash, I had a round chambered in it, and I shot." Dunn says he always keeps the pistol loaded.
Hey, this Florida. The Gunshine State.
Dunn fires four shots into the Durango. The Durango pulls away. Dunn gets out of his car and aims again at the teenagers' vehicle. "I was still scared, and so I shot four more times . trying to keep their heads down to not catch any return fire. And that was it," Dunn says later.
Davis, a high-school junior, had just gotten a job at McDonald's to earn extra money. At Thanksgiving dinner, the day before he was shot, he thanked God for his family and especially his mom.
He pleads not guilty, saying he shot in self-defense.
Dunn's lawyer at trial, Cory Strolla, tells the jury: "God didn't make all men equal. Colt did. Colt is a firearm. (Dunn) had every right under the law to not be a victim, to be judged by 12 rather than carried by six."
In both the Zimmerman case and the Dunn case, armed white men shot and killed unarmed black teenagers.
But who are the real thugs, the unarmed black kids who play loud music or walk to stores to buy Skittles or the white guys who are armed to the teeth and quick on the trigger?
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 2
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 1
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
- Sam Cohen: ‘No compromise’ gun groups shoot themselves in the foot - 8
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 18
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 20
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Jacob Brown - 0
- 2 dead, 17 injured in NYC building explosion - 1
- Milan voters support Kenney in tight race, elect two new selectmen - 0
- Auburn police contract approved - 0
- Newton selectmen chairman defeated in election - 0
- Candia to look at alternatives to Central High School - 0
- Goffstown rejects $4.5M fire station plan - 0
- Bedford votes down fire substation; $30M for roads approved - 0
NH oil dealer who failed to deliver convicted in Montana of millions in construction fraud
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal