Roger Simon: Who are the real thugs?
It's the day after Thanksgiving 2012, and four teenagers are sitting in a Dodge Durango outside a convenience store in Jacksonville, Fla.
The Durango is red, which is unimportant. The teenagers are black, which is important.
The situation escalates. Dunn claims seeing one teenager pushing open the door of the Durango. (This is later denied by the teenagers.) Dunn also claims that he sees a weapon in the Durango. "I saw a barrel come up on the window, like a single-shot shotgun. . It was either a barrel or a stick," Dunn tells police. "I'm s--ing bricks, but that's when I reached in my glove box, unholstered my pistol . and so quicker than a flash, I had a round chambered in it, and I shot." Dunn says he always keeps the pistol loaded.
Hey, this Florida. The Gunshine State.
Dunn fires four shots into the Durango. The Durango pulls away. Dunn gets out of his car and aims again at the teenagers' vehicle. "I was still scared, and so I shot four more times . trying to keep their heads down to not catch any return fire. And that was it," Dunn says later.
Davis, a high-school junior, had just gotten a job at McDonald's to earn extra money. At Thanksgiving dinner, the day before he was shot, he thanked God for his family and especially his mom.
He pleads not guilty, saying he shot in self-defense.
Dunn's lawyer at trial, Cory Strolla, tells the jury: "God didn't make all men equal. Colt did. Colt is a firearm. (Dunn) had every right under the law to not be a victim, to be judged by 12 rather than carried by six."
In both the Zimmerman case and the Dunn case, armed white men shot and killed unarmed black teenagers.
But who are the real thugs, the unarmed black kids who play loud music or walk to stores to buy Skittles or the white guys who are armed to the teeth and quick on the trigger?
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree